This is a little how to on avoiding criticism as a celebrity. Just a few things I picked up from reading tabloids, watching entertainment news programs (Entertainment Tonight, The Insider, TMZ, etc.) or just social norms.
1. A celebrity should not be fat. I have learned from watching television and glancing at tabloid headlines that, no matter how talented you are, if you are a “fat” celebrity then someone is bound to criticize you. Celebrities, to many people, are looked at as being “perfect” – which explains the shock and rage when they mess up as all humans do. When someone comes around with what the public may see as imperfections, they are torn apart on television and in tabloids.
2. Do not get divorced after only 72 days of marriage. It does not matter that you no longer have the same feelings for the person. What matters is what the public thinks! The best thing to do would be to stick it out for at least two years to avoid people criticizing you when you finally file.
3. That white, feathered Swan inspired ensemble will make you famous … for having bad taste. When picking out what to wear on the red carpet, keep it classy. No one wants entertainment while they are watching award shows…
4. Be careful what you name your child. That is just cruel because now your child is being criticized… and will probably be criticized for the rest of his or her life.
5. Do not go to jail. Seriously though.
6. Do not be a jerk. If you pull a Kanye at an awards show then you will be remembered (and disliked) for it for a very long time. Beating up a girl will not make people like you very much either – and for good reason!
7. Avoid having a reality television show. Not only do reality TV shows tend to ruin marriages, but you end up on entertainment news programs and the front of tabloids frequently. From what I have seen when glancing at tabloids in the grocery store check out line, the news that you will be making is not very good.
8. Show people you care every now and then. Hey, if you have millions then why not donate some to a good cause? Even a shout out to a good cause can help.
9. Watch what you say. Sometimes saying the wrong thing – regardless of what you think – will end up hurting you. Sometimes consulting with your publicist beforehand will go a long way.
10. Do nothing. If you are not doing anything then there is no way you can be criticized, right?
The point is, every celebrity is going to be criticized because there is always going to be at least one person who dislikes them. Being criticized is unavoidable – no matter who you are. The best thing to do is to be yourself and try not to focus on what entertainment news programs or tabloids say. Besides, sometimes having a different body shape or wearing that hideous dress on the red carpet will get you noticed and help you stand out from the crowd.
Side note: I just wanted to say that, while some points were valid, a lot of this was sarcastic. I hold the belief that everyone is beautiful in their own way. Celebrities are humans. Humans mess up, humans don’t look perfect, and humans have the right to do whatever they want with their lives. I’m simply poking at the things tabloids, TMZ, and entertainment news television shows talk about regarding celebrities.